The South East Major (SEAM) annual fighting game tournament is one of the largest in the world, drawing challengers from all across the globe to showcase the highest levels of mind games, and finger dexterity. The event will be held inside the Gamestart 2017 gaming convention taking place in Singapore, from October 14-15.
This year, we’re proud to announce that one of the many great games in SEAM 2017’s lineup is Gundam Versus, and it’s already shaping up to be quite the rumble!
As one of the organizers for the event, one of the representatives of the Singapore Gundam Versus community, as well as the founder of this site, I thought this would be a great avenue to share more details on the event, as well as answer any questions that interested parties might have.
- October 14-15
- Singapore, Suntec City Convention Centre, Halls 401, 402, and 403
- Sat 14 Oct 2017
1015 – Registration
1045 – Briefing, Change pad settings, test etc. (No latecomers, 1045 is the strict cutoff)
1100 – First Match Start
Sun 15 Oct 2017
1045 – Semifinalists to register
1050 – Briefing, Change pad settings, test etc.
1100 – First Match Start
- Teams of 2
- Double Elimination
- Best 2 out of 3 per set
- Best 3 out of 5 for losers, winners, and grand finals
- Stage: Random
- Timer: 240 seconds
- Within each set, the winner must keep the same suit, striker and burst type, while the loser can switch their suit, striker, and burst type.
- All On-Disc suits
- DLC limited ONLY to Gundam Barbatos Lupus, Hot Scramble Gundam, Gundam Virtue
- Doan’s Zaku II
- The O
- Hot Scramble Gundam
- Zeta Gundam
- Tallgeese II
- Gundam GP03
- Gold SUMO
- Gundam Kimaris Trooper
- McGillis’ Schwalbe Graze
- Gundam G-Self
- Crossbone Gundam X1 Kai
- Crossbone Gundam X3
- Unicorn Gundam
- Hi-Nu Gundam
- Guncannon (Thunderbolt ver.)
- Players are required to bring their own controllers.
- Players may request to test out the button configurations in the waiting room before the actual match starts. Once the match starts, no players are allowed to request for a change of button configurations.
- In the event of a time-out, the team who have the lowest score player will lose (4th place in terms of score shown at the end of the battle)
- In the event of wrong suit chosen, the team that made the mistake may either choose to play through that match, or forfeit that round.
- Changing the settings, or choosing any game settings that contradict the format set in these rules will lead the offending team to automatically lose 1 round.
- Players are also expected to maintain respect for one another, and for all tournament staff and spectators. Any player deemed behaving inappropriately by a tournament organizer may risk immediate disqualification. This includes, and is not limited to:
- Intentionally delaying or slowing gameplay
- Tournament Organisers reserve the right to change the rules prior to the start of the tournament.
Registration- REGISTER HERE
- Entrance to SEAM 2017 for two days of attendance costs 30USD. Typically, registration for each game tournament costs 10USD. BUT! As an exclusive privilege to GVS players, tournament entry is FREE– meaning you only need to pay 30USD for entrance to SEAM to join! (If you still think this is expensive- keep reading!)
- Registration is done as a team, so make sure you have both purchased your SEAM entry ticket!
- For my Singapore bros- its about SG$41.
- EARLY BIRD PRICE ENDS 31 AUGUST, SIGN UP NOW BEFORE THE PRICE GOES UP TO 50USD!
What If I Have No Partner?
If you are hated like I am, you might not have anyone to team up with for the big dance. We’re working on a system to pair people up, so don’t feel discouraged from joining! We will share announcements on how we intend to pair people up on both the GVS SG group and the GGEZ Facebook, so follow us to stay updated!
- For guests visiting from beyond the border, special discounts are available on accommodation courtesy of the tournament organizers, which you may view here.
Why is it so expensive?
SEAM 2017 isn’t expensive– it’s just that the tournaments we have organized to date have been cheap. Previous tournaments that we have organized were done so at cost price, or less. All prizes were also donated either by members of the community, or external parties.
SEAM 2017 is a professionally organized tournament, and although you might not notice it, a lot of behind-the-scenes work goes into staging a major event that hundreds travel to attend, and thousands more view online. Big events cost more to set up. By the way, just the entrance fee into EVO, the world’s biggest fighting game tournament, is 100USD.
If you’re still on the fence about whether to join the tournament or not, based on the price:
- It’s only once a year.
- It’s a major tournament experience for a game that you love.
- Prizes have not been officially announced, but from what I hear they’re gonna be sweeeeet.
- I was told this is a very convincing argument, I’m not completely sold but I’m gonna try it anyway- “f*** you, just join“.
What You Get for your 30USD
- Entrance to Gamestart 2017, a big gaming convention with past exhibitors like Bandai Namco and Sony
- Entrance to SEAM 2017, where you can spectate other fighting game tournaments played by international pro players
- Join the fun and go for the gold in the Gundam Versus fixed team tournament, stand to win fabulous prizes! (If you can beat me)
- After party with food and drinks and *FUN*
- Mingle with international players, learn new tech!
I hope to see you guys there! Sign up here!